Saturday, June 12, 2010

It don't mean a thang if it ain't got that...theology

I have many topics currently on my mind which I could speak about, I feel that a post comparing worship music to traditional hymns is in order. Being involved with the Navigator's ministry on campus, I have been exposed to many good things which are not done in a more traditional church, it has however exposed me to a weakness; their music. I beg now that those reading who enjoy worship music to bear with me through what is undoubtedly going to be a long post and know that this is not intended to be a meaningless diatribe against worship music, but a thoughtful, loving critique for the benefit of all believers.

I wish to start my critique with the obvious; worship music is extremely repetitive lyrically speaking, and is structured in a way which resembles most secular music, musically speaking. This is important to point out because I have several friends who hold (vocally) the opinion that one should listen only to worship music, save possibly for Classical music. I am amazed that anyone could hold this opinion or dare to call it 'worship' music. Why do I make such a bold claim? Because most worship music worships one thing: Man. Take the song "I'm trading my sorrows" by Darell Evans (?) for example. Look at the very title: "I'm trading my sorrows" the song goes on to explain how he is choosing to trade all the bad things in life "for the joy of the Lord". Firstly, this reeks of decisional theology, something I have written on extensively in the past, an evil which should not be abided. Secondly, for those who insist upon thinking that they choose God, look at the inherent message: 'I'm choosing salvation and it won't have any sorrow or pain or sickness'. What Paul would have said to such! All throughout scripture we are promised persecution! And here is a song with a catchy melody, a repetitive beat proclaiming that we can choose to have peace and joy, no strings attached! This is simply un-acceptable. I hardly feel that I need to critique it's chorus "Yes Lord, yes Lord, yes yes Lord (3x) Amen", but I shall. Find me anywhere in scripture where such caltrop as this is found. (Excluding in the Message 'bible' which I have also written on and do not classify as the bible). This 'chorus' is nothing more than an extension of the idea of a hypnotic beat to cover for the lack of substance within the song. In fact, the song loses nothing if you substitute 'dot' for 'yes' and 'dash' for 'Lord'.

Now let's compare this to one of the most beautiful hymns: "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence". But first a brief aside to the nature of hymns. Hymns are repetetive musically and very rich lyrically specifically designed to elevate what is being sung above the singer or the pleasure of the people listening. This is in direct contradiction to the ways of secular music to the point that someone who has never heard of hymns would immediately recognize it as something entirely different from what they know. (Unlike the song "slow fade" which still has me in confusion as to why it is even considered "Christian" and not secular). Now back to the hymn in specific. The title of 'Let all mortal flesh keep silence' already sets the tone for the hymn; not focused on man. The hymn is not about man, his decision, his horrible life, his gain, his anything. The hymn is totally about God. It exists expressly for the purpose of glorifying God. The hymn opens with a warning to mortal flesh and an exaltation to God. It continues in the second stanza speaking on the God made flesh, born of Mary yet King of Kings. The second stanza ends with "he will give to all the faithful his own self for heavenly food" alluding to Holy Communion and substitutionary atonement. The hymn closes with a scene from Revelations chapters 4 & 5. How drastically different from "I'm trading my sorrows"

My point here is this: most worship music is centered around MAN. Most hymns are centered around GOD. Man has become infatuated with himself and written songs to tickle his own ears. Even when he does not realize it, he has fallen prey to his own vanity in making songs which his ears prefer because they are 'cooler' or 'more relevant'. Be wary as to what the song praises! Examine it to see who it is talking about. Such songs as: "I'm trading my sorrows", "Slow Fade", "Lord I lift your name on high", "I can only imagine", "I will not forget you"...etc...are not worthy of being called worship music because they elevate man, man's actions and man's response above God.

This does not mean however that all worship music is bad or that all hymns are good. There is a hymn set to the tune of Ebenezer (one of my favorite tunes) called "Once to every Man and Nation". This is quite possibly one of the worst hymns I have encountered. This hymn praises one thing; man. "some great choice, some great decision" it preaches a decisional theology and is nothing but blatant Armenianism and relativism. Look at this line from vs 3; "New occasions teach new duties, time makes ancient goods uncouth"! So much for God being the same yesterday, today and tomorrow...clearly truth changes with time. On the other hand there is good worship music. The best I can think of is "In Christ Alone". This song has everything a song could want! The doctrine within the song is so wonderful, teaching Christ alone. The entire song goes through the gospel message. This is a song that should be sung because it glorifies God in every respect, and makes naught of man.

Thus dear brothers and sisters, I implore you to pay attention to what you sing. Do not merely go with the flow, but carefully examine, not only your songs, but your entire life to determine whether it is bringing God glory.

Soli Deo Gloria

2 comments:

  1. I am blessed to have a good Lutheran (LCMS) music director who chooses worship music carefully for our contemporary service. There is a lot of good worship music out there. I have never had to be embarrassed about what we sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then you are indeed blessed Katie to have someone cipher through these songs and select the best of them for y'all. Thanks for posting a comment!

    ReplyDelete