Sunday, June 6, 2010

South Carolina ELCA Synod Meeting 2010

The title pretty much covers this one, no hidden meaning or enticing opening sentence. This is about the convention the South Carolina Synod of the ELCA had this past weekend on June 4, and 5. I went as a youth delegate from St. Mark's congregation along with my Pastor, Mr. Anthony and Mrs. Sebrina. Here are some of the high lights, my thoughts and what I have learned form going there.

I do sincerely hope that the pro-gay people martialed their forces for this event in order to appear more numerous than they really are, becuase if what I saw there is proportional to the SC Synod at large, then we are in hot water. Apparently the SC Synod had no definition of marrige prior to the meeting, or we just love redundant redundancy, because we had to debate and vote on a resolution regarding defining marriage as between one man and one woman. The resolution met considerable opposition, and this has me worried. One man attempted to modify the resolution so that the definition of marriage would also depend on the laws of South Carolina! Luckily this modification failed. Among the arguments which I shall term 'pro gay' or 'team gay', was one which was put forth as such; "Marriage is not an institution of the church. It is an institution of the state. When you get married isn't when you go to the church and say your vows, it's when you sign the paper work, and when you get divorced, you do paper work, you don't even go the the church at all, thus it is none of the church's business to define marriage." At first I thought he was kidding, or crazy and no one would take him seriously. Then I heard a man at the table behind me say "Hey, he's right, you don't go to the church to get a divorce!" Turns out the people behind me were team gay. This made things considerably awkward since I was on 'team God' or 'team soli scriptura' or 'team reformation' or 'team Luther' or...you get the point. I later asked the man in regards to the comment if the reason you don't go to the church to get a divorce was because we should not be divorced in the eyes of the church. To this he had no reply but to shake his head and walk away. When all was said and done, the resolution for the definition of marriage passed - narrowly. The votes (normally done by raising colored cards and the bishop deciding who has more) were so close that they had to be counted.

I could continue to go and list all the horrible arguments and their logical and theological flaws but I shall forgo that save a few special cases. One of such being (from team gay) an argument going thus; "Let me tell you something about pastors, I have known horrible pastors before, drunkards, fornicators, one who beat his family...etc etc etc...so why should we make such a big deal out of a homosexual in a 'commited, life-long, monogamous, publicly accountable relationship'"? First off, I must say that one cannot me monogamous if one is NOT MARRIED. Also, how is said one to be publicly accountable if they willfully deny scripture against homosexuality, fornication, and the standards pastors should meet? What is left for them to be publicly accountable for? After the man declared that he had read scripture and found no such reason to deny a person from becoming a pastor, I asked him (privately) if he had ever read 1 Timothy. He said he had, and it was not relevant because of the bad straight pastors he had met. I told him that this did not make 1 Timothy irrelevant, but more relevant and asked him, if instead of pushing for the ordination of gays that he should not instead be more vigorously seeking to protect the position of pastor by the standards put forth in 1 Timothy. He began explaining to me that the bible wasn't free of errors because it was written by man a very long time ago when they couldn't comprehend what we are facing now and that it was not relative to the problem today. I felt compelled to punch him in the face, or at least beat him with my bible, but I decided instead to simply walk away. This is but one of the MANY cases where I saw humanism, armenianism, and liberalism in people's hearts and minds. I figured that if he was a specimen of what the church was preaching, then the church was in hotter water than I thought.

Then I heard the sermon at the Friday worship service. I tell you honestly that Dietrich Bonhoeffer rolled over in his grave. If he had been there, though as sworn pacifist, I feel sure he would have at least had some harsh words for the preacher, who happened to be our bishop. The sermon was about the rich young man who comes to the Lord and asks how to gain eternal life. Christ tells him to go and sell everything he has, give it all to the poor and to follow him. The young man goes away sad, because he has many things and cannot part with them. By the end of the sermon, our bishop was saying this: "My mama had a good hermeneutic on this. She would say that a modern man came to Jesus and asked how big a check he would have to write out to get into heaven. Jesus replies 'no need, just give me the checkbook'." The story goes on through cash, credit card, car, house, and wife, and finally Christ says 'now give me yourself' and the man, seeing as he has nothing else to lose, gives himself to Christ. (I would like to make the aside here that this is the most despicable teaching of decisional theology I have ever heard). He continues the story saying that Christ then gives it all back and says (and I quote) "I never really wanted all that stuff, you can have it back. All I wanted is a room in your house and to sit beside you in your car, and maybe for you to give a tithing at church on Sundays". Bonhoeffer is dead not only in the flesh but in the eyes of the church. Here is our own bishop trading the Costly Grace of Christ for the cheap grace of the world! Here was my bishop trying to sell Jesus as some accessory to make your life better, or an insurance policy into heaven.

I do realize now, that this post is becoming rather long, but I pray that you my brothers and sisters in Christ would bear with me.

Saturday afternoon we had three guest speakers for our 'workshops' which are traditionally used to cover three issues facing the church. All three of them this year were about stewardship (of money), tithing, and planned giving. Having no correlation at all to the whiney little yankee they sent from the Nationwide Church to talk about how they don't have enough money (the nation wide church's budget got cut by 21% since 2009). ((To those who have much more will be given, but to those who have little even that shall be taken from them)). Anyway, the guy talked about how he had left his house in the hands of a steward (one of his students from seminary) and expected it to be in order, ready for his arrival when he came home, not destroyed, ill cared for or with the locks changed and the steward now claiming to be the owner. Then the scene from the Lord of the Rings hit me. Gandalf walks towards Denethor and Denethor says: "I'll not bow to this ranger from the north" and Gandalf replies "Power is not given to you to deny the return of the King, Steward." It then struck me, with heart rending clarity that team gay was Denethor saying "we will not bow to this scripture from man" and team God, Gandalf, saying "Power is not given to you to deny the return of the king". I then knew that though team gay says "Christ is Lord, and we are but stewards of all he has given us" they do not believe it, nor practice it. In regards to 1 Corinthians 11 they do not recognize the body of Christ and eat and drink condemnation upon themselves at the communion table. The communion table is to be guarded. After my pastor telling me that Lutherans aren't Calvinists because Luther didn't believe in predestination and neither do we, and that Lutherans also don't recognize the inerrancy of scripture, I have realized that the communion table is to be guarded from the ELCA.

Today was my last day of communing in the ELCA. I can not approach the communion table anymore with clear conscience for the knowledge of whom I commune with. The ELCA SC Synod Assembly has shown me, not that I am not Lutheran, but that Lutherans are not Lutherans. It has shown me that God no longer leads the church but Satan. It has shown me that none of the great fathers and disciples of the Reformation would smile upon the ELCA. Thus, I intend to call a congregational meeting as soon as possible to urge our congregation to seek reconciliation with the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church. If my congregation will not go, then I shall be left with no alternative but to leave the congregation behind. I would here use the words of Christ 'it is finished' but those were joyful words of our salvation, and these are heavy, sad words of condemnation, not worthy of those words of Christ. Here me ye Lutherans of the ELCA! You are in an apostate church, a Christless church and must repent! Flee the ELCA or eat and drink condemnation upon yourselves. Consider this my leaving town and shaking off the dust from my sandals. I do wish to say that with tears I pray that we may still be reconciled, not to each other, but to Christ, and that do not say these words hastily or with spiteful anger, but with consideration. I put my grannie in tears and my aunt into a rage when I announced that we must leave the ELCA or find new congregations and that with or without them I would do so. I do not make this call to all of you lightly to do as I am doing, but as the scripture says: "he who does not hate his own family, he cannot be my disciple".

Grace and Peace,
Matthew Shealy

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Matt for being so honest. I hope and pray that everything works out for you. Thanks for standing on Scripture, the Book of Concord, and the Lutheran Confessions.

    As you can see from the comments from the man from the Gay Team, this is what the ELCA will face in the future, a total disregard for Scripture and what it means.

    I've seen pastors in the ELCA use the same remarks several times.

    I no longer attend church, but asking for God's guildance in finding a new church other then the ELCA, PC-USA, UCC, and EC-USA or any other that supports the gay agenda.

    I stand with Dr. Luther, Unless its presented in Scripture, I cannot recant, here I stand and I can do no other.

    I can't go against the teachings of Scripture even when the Liberal progressive church does. I can't delete from it or change its meaning, only God can do that.

    Thanks for speaking the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Matthew,
    As I read your post, I had two reactions. I wanted to weep for you and the other traditionalists in SC; and then another part of me just wanted to say, "Been there, done that." My husband's Lutheran roots are in Greenville and Easley, SC, and he still has family there, so we are watching what happens there with great interest.

    I will respond again later; I'm busy this morning, but I did want to see if we have some common aquaintances. Do you know a Forrest Shealy who once lived in Easley, but is now in the lower part of the state, perhaps the Charleston area? Or perhaps the Rev. Jeffrey Shealy who posts over on the ALPB Forum? You might want to visit over there; they have some good discussions going on regarding synod assemblies and how churches are dealing with these issues. LCMS is not the only choice, even though it is the one we made. Here is the link: http://www.alpb.org/forum/index.php
    God Bless,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Donw: Thanks for the support. I cannot for the life of me remember the denomination name of the church I've been looking into (Christ Church of the Carolina in Columbia) but it's not PC-USA; it's the more conservative Presbyterian church. I can't really make a blanket endorsement of that denomination based on that one church, but if I could I would. Here is a website that will let you search any state / province in USA / Canada to show you where all the Missouri Synod churches are: http://www.lcms.org/locators/nchurches/church.asp

    I hope you find a good church soon, and thanks for reading,
    Matthew Shealy

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Katie,

    Thank you for reading, and for your concern for me and all the other traditionalists. I am sorry to say that I do not know any Forrest Shealy. There are so many Shealy families in South Carolina specifically that we probably are related somewhere back along 8 generations ago which was the most recent huge family split that I can think of. I do know of a Rev. Jeffrey Shealy who is a pastor in the ELCA. If we're thinking of the same person, he's a pretty good guy. He wrote most of the conservative minded resolutions presented at the assembly. Thanks for the link to the forum! I'll have to check it out sometime.

    Thanks for reading,
    Matthew Shealy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was a wake-up call, Matthew: if this is happening in South Carolina, there is little hope for ELCA. I wish you the best in your quest. We were forced to leave our congregation of 20 years --- where my sons were baptized --- when our congregation refused even to discuss disaffiliation with ELCA, and were warmly welcomed by an LCMS congregation. Come on in! The water's fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt: My heart goes out to you and for all those trying to remain faithful. My wife and I had a very confrontational session with our now-former ELCA pastor right after August '09 CWA. He'd played his cards close to his vest until the vote was done...then he was rah-rah "team gay." He also told us that our interpretation of Scripture was wrong and that "the ELCA is going places you may not be able to go." He was right. We are now members of a very good LCMS congregation. May God bless you in your journey.

    ReplyDelete